brothercyst: An odd book party

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

An odd book party

Last night I went to the launch party for A Short History of Myth.

The party was in a hotel that has an indoor pool surrounded by backlit liquor bottles, or something, with a DJ above the pool in a sort of lookout spot, and a steam room and sauna behind him. Above the pool there was a big projection screen playing a movie with the sound off. That's where the launch party was. It was a book party and a pool party. I have never heard of this before. Apparently before I arrived they even had a reading.


By the time I left, furious guards had pulled everyone out of the pool because nudity is not allowed, or something, then opened it again after a lawyer argued with them, and the hysterical DJ was shouting to the guards that someone had hit him in the face "over and over again" with a shoe.

It was kind of amazing.

Usually I feel some level of awkwardness at parties.

This was really fun.

I wore my tie into the water.

Someone named "Reverend Phil" was causing lots of commotion in the pool.

Fred, one of my freshman roommates from college, now a film major at Tisch, stopped by. It was good to see him, although he didn't get in the pool. He just drank.

I felt a little bad for the people who organized the thing. They looked alarmed by the end. But they knew everyone had an interesting time.

1 comment:

reader of depressing books said...

a lawyer argued with them, that's funny