brothercyst: Al Gore & strip club

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Al Gore & strip club

I did two things on Thursday night.

First, I went to see Al Gore's movie, An Inconvenient Truth. Incidentally, the movie was directed by Davis Guggenheim, the son of Charles Guggenheim, who ran Guggenheim Productions and won some Academy Awards. I interned there when I was 16. Charles died a few years ago.

An Inconvenient Truth features Gore using his usual trickery - things like "reason" and "science" - to make a pest of himself by telling people they should change their lives to perpetuate the survival of the human race. Better just
to ignore him, folks. By the time Manhattan is half underwater, I probably won't even live here anymore.

Second, I went to a strip club. I had never been to one before, and this one, as strip clubs go, was very "upscale." A friend from college had somehow gotten free passes. EJ, who is a girl, went also. She seemed to be having more fun than anyone at first, but then a dirty alcoholic stripper tricked/pushed her into buying some incredibly expensive drinks that the stripper wanted. Then the stripper tore a button off my shirt and we left. Everyone else in the place seemed rich. One person was a midget.

So, in closing, I encourage everyone to go see An Inconvenient Truth.

2 comments:

Ian said...

So you broke your strip club cherry. The first time I went was actually about a year and a half ago, as part of a neurosurgery residency interview. Think about that for a minute. Anyhow, it was at some cheap place in Boston and I spent the whole time worrying about where to sit so as not to acquire some heinous, dry-cleaning-proof stain on my lone good interview suit.

NickAntosca said...

Why did they take you for a residency interview? Maybe residency has its perks after all. Yeah, this place wasn't "dirty"--everything looked expensive and sort of red-velvety--but even "high-class" strippers look kind of leathery up close. The alcoholic stripper (that's not me talking; she said, cutely, "I'm an alcoholic," and repeatedly demanded drinks) who sort of soured the night was clearly supposed to look young, but upon closer inspection, her face had the texture of an omelette.

Go see Gore's movie, it's good.