brothercyst: I'm throwing away my old stories

Sunday, June 18, 2006

I'm throwing away my old stories

I hate my old stories. Of the ones that are published only a few are good. The one coming out in the New York Tyrant this summer is good. The one that was published in Opium last year (or was it the year before?...no, last year) is stupid...no good at all. Written to be published. Should not exist.

Of the very short ones, many suck. The one, "Nonfiction," that just appeared in elimae is good - I like that one. The one that was in alice blue is terrible. I feel bad about that. I wrote one that I really like and just sent it to them, maybe they will accept that and expunge the memory of the earlier one... I hate that one now.

This is the lesson of reading Salter: never write a single thing that I don't consciously think needs to be written.

Experiments
must be thrown away.

Novelties
.

Amusing asides
, however amusing they may be.

To the trash.

3 comments:

Ian said...

You're sounding like my best friend. Periodically he grows tired of everything and starts over. Just throws everything out. Clothes, CDs, books, and the various other items he has consumed since his last purge all find their way to the trash.

Then, he resumes his life the way it was before the existential enema. This cycle proceeds roughly every year or so, as predictable as Christmas.

That's not to say that you have some sort of literary recidivism in your future after this cleaning-house. Just remember that the things you have written so far have value, even if they disgust you now -- perhaps simply because by inciting your ire they propel you to accomplish something with which you can feel genuinely satisfied. Besides, I think that sometimes novelties and amusing asides can serve their purpose as well, refreshing our minds by providing a pleasant diversion.

Anyhow, I hope you'll keep the stories, but just hide them away somewhere where they can't bother you. Who knows -- the original proofs might be worth something some day, as relics from Antosca's frolicsome period.

Chad Simpson said...

Hey, Nick. I don't know about a lot of the work you're talking about, but your story in the new elimae was very cool. I totally dug it.

NickAntosca said...

It is all very sad.