brothercyst: the list

Thursday, June 01, 2006

the list

Everybody wanted to see the books that only got a few votes (as opposed to the lumbering, mostly dull champions - Jesus' Son, Blood Meridian, and The Known World excepted) in that wretched New York Times poll. And so somebody is trying to dig them up. Even this sampling is a far more exciting list than the NYTBR's list of winners. (Roth, Roth, Roth. Morrison Roth. Updike Roth. Roth Roth. Philip Roth. Tony Morrison. Morrison Morrison Roth. Updike Updike. Morrison. Roth Roth Roth Roth. Redrum. Redrum. Redrum. RedRUM! RedRUM! RedRUM! Roth Roth Roth. Roth. Roth.)

Little, Big was on there. And Carpenter's Gothic. Cool.

And then there's this:

"-
The Cider House Rules, by John Irving (nominated by: John Irving)"

Just incidentally, I feel active revulsion when I think of that Owen Meany book. Beyond insufferable.

3 comments:

Ian said...

BUT I LIKE OWEN MEANY.

Bobby Farouk said...

You can like Owen Meany (or any other Irving novel) and still understand that it is not a good book.

NickAntosca said...

He talks in capital letters for THE ENTIRE BOOK. I hated that character, and I was angry at the author for pandering to him. I have no memory of whether the prose was good or not. I just wanted that horrible homunculus to shut up. Shrieking about penguins and whatnot...good lord.