brothercyst: Fires update

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Fires update

The copy edits have been completed on Fires, as I mentioned in an earlier post. I am very happy with them. But I am going over the manuscript one more time myself, carefully.

I am taking out adverbs.

I am removing a word or two on every page. I don't want to explain too much or hold a reader's hand. The story is strong and so is the writing (is it bad for me to say this about my own work? I don't give a shit) but it is very strange and disconcerting for me to read this.

The first draft I wrote three years ago, and I am making these revisions on what is essentially a short break from the writing of Midnight Picnic, which is a very personal and different book in style, tone, content, intent... everything.

I could never write Fires again. I'm glad I wrote it when I could.

Its publication draws slowly nearer and I am relieved.

Let's see.

New York Tyrant's first issue comes out in something like two weeks. There will be a party in mid/late August. Will be fun.

I am doing a reading in New Haven on August 9th as part of the Summer Writing Program run by John Crowley. That's an honor and I'm looking forward to it.

What else.

Nothing else.

It's really hot.

No comments: