brothercyst: Lightness

Friday, August 18, 2006


Re-reading L.A. Confidential gave me so much pleasure that instead of reading novels that are new to me (a cumulative stack of about fifty is distributed around my apartment), I decided to go back and re-read a few other novels I read previously and loved.

I started on The Unbearable Lightness of Being last night.

A few chapters in, it is as good as I remember.

Kundera's pedagogic digressions are somehow endearing. Unlike, say, Melville's.

Someone once told me, "You like [Lightness] because it tries to justify male infidelity by discussing it as a philosophical concern." The implication was that it's a moral concern. And it is, but the two sorts of concern--need this even be said?--are not mutually exclusive.

The putative characters in Lightness are some of my favorites in any novel.

Kundera is the real main character.

Then again, I often feel like the author is the main character of most novels I enjoy. I prefer it that way. An author without a style is weak... light... "his movements as free as they are insignificant."

Or maybe he is leaden, pinned down, his movements as limited as they are useless.

Hard to say.


Richard said...

Congratulations on being an Opium Fiction Priza Finalist. If Baumbach liked "Thickness and Viscosity of Clown Blood" that much, it must be an excellent story.

NickAntosca said...

Thanks! I'm frustrated with that story. It keeps almost getting awards, but not actually getting them.

Melo Sanderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NickAntosca said...

It's cool. Email me and I'll send it to you.

NickAntosca said...

It's cool. Email me and I'll send it to you.