brothercyst: they made a movie out of the Likens murder?

Monday, January 22, 2007

they made a movie out of the Likens murder?

Fires came from two seeds. When I was eighteen, I saw a newspaper article about a forest fire that had come down from the hills and was eating through a suburb, and the image of fire fighters fleeing through a landscape of inflatable pools and playground slides stuck with me. Also, I read Kate Millett's The Basement, which is about the Sylvia Likens murder. It is one of the most disturbing stories you'll ever hear. In retrospect, I'm sure that is where the image of a kid locked in a basement came from.

I think of this now because it was just pointed out to me that someone has made a movie based on the Likens murder. It is called An American Crime. Here is the trailer. I know I will see it eventually. But I recoil--I had trouble watching the whole preview.

6 comments:

Mike Young said...

Happy birthday. I don't know how to pronounce your last name. I hope you get really drunk and smile at hot dog vendors. You have those in New York. This is not an antagonistic comment. I really do hope you have a happy birthday!

NickAntosca said...

Ann--tah--ska.

At least that's the way I say it.

I did have a happy birthday, thanks!

I don't drink, though, so I didn't get drunk, but I did eat a lot of sushi.

NickAntosca said...

stress on the second syllable.

Mike Young said...

That sounds like fun. I am more of a sushi admirer than consumer, but I'm glad you had a good time!

anna said...

also horrifying:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanda_Sharer

i realize im late. someone bought me fires for hannukah and then a blur and now i'm reading your 2007.

N A said...

Yep, that's a pretty horrifying murder.