brothercyst: a vivid, unbalanced first novel

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

a vivid, unbalanced first novel

Here's another blurb-length review of Fires, this one for The L Magazine by Mark Asch. I just read it twice and I can't tell if it's positive or negative. It's mostly content description and discussion of my age, which is annoying but not exactly out of left field. And he says, also not unreasonably, that I'm no David Lynch. Which is true. And oddly appropriate, because Lynch was reading down the street last Thursday when Kate Hunter and I read at Housing Works. In fact, if I hadn't been reading, I'd have gone to see him.

*********

Impetus tells me the first printing shipment is, at last, on its way from Canada (where hundreds and hundreds of books have been sitting in a warehouse for weeks--sorry buyers, this is indie publishing). People who ordered from the Impetus website, your books should be shipped by Friday or Saturday. People who ordered from Amazon, your books should be shipped next week, but I'm hesitant to say that given Amazon's lumbering slowness.

8 comments:

Bobby Farouk said...

I don't get Asch's attachment to quotation marks, and I will never make sense of his last sentence.

Little Miss Nomad said...

In my opinion you should never read your own reviews. It will just drive you banana sandwich... or so I've been told.

Chief said...

Smoking must be a big deal in your book: that's the second review in a row that's emphasized it.

NickAntosca said...

I'm puzzled by the last sentence, too. I guess he's saying it's not a bad thing that I wrote a "vivid, unbalanced first novel."

C'mon, Kati, how are you not going to read, or at least skim, your own reviews? What if somebody says something factually wrong about your book? Still...point taken.

Smoking...Yeah, all the characters smoke. They're all gonna die.

Erin O'Brien said...

Don't feel bad. I'm no David Lynch either.

NickAntosca said...

None of us are David Lynch. If we were David Laynch, we wouldn't be able to properly appreciate David Lynch.

Evelyn said...

Hm...at least this is a denser review that tries to grapple with how to describe your book. That other one that you posted on the 13th sounds like fluff matter to me.

Agreed re: David Lynch. I'm not sure how useful this comparison is, especially since the reviewer didn't do a good job of elucidating the differences. But I guess since this is your first, the reviewer couldn't compare it to another work of yours.

I think what he's saying in the last sentence is that you don't entirely rise above your situation as a 23-year-old, but he doesn't dislike your book. He might like it. Maybe. He hasn't made up his mind and doesn't want to pass judgment.

NickAntosca said...

I agree. For all its crampedness, it does feel like a review by someone who read & considered the book.