brothercyst

Sunday, March 11, 2007



After the animal shelter, I went over to KGB but wasn't terribly impressed by anything I heard tonight.

Last night I saw a concert by the Columbia Sinfonietta at Columbia's Miller Theater. Electronic music by Ron Smith, Noel Zahler, and Roger Reynolds, with whom my dad's setting up a concert at the National Gallery of Art. Smith's piece made me think of a tall thin ghost creature yowling in sadness for a long time. Reynolds's was more intricate and dense than the other two; it was clearly a lot more technically advanced (to my untrained ear).

4 comments:

Colin said...

I think I might be studying with Zahler (with somebody at Minnesota, at any rate) in the next year or two.

I've never been crazy about Reynolds' music, to be honest; it always sounds kind of dated and engineer-y to me. He won a Pulitzer, though, so your mileage may vary.

Ian said...

Are all of your fingers still attached, or are peanut-buttery chunks of them clinging to the jowls of some raging pit bull?

Ian said...

By the way, at first glance the pit bull in that picture appears to be smoking.

NickAntosca said...

colin - like i say, my ear's tin. congrats on the future studies.

ian - oh, *I* don't do the peanut butter thing. most of those dogs are really sweet but i think some are secretly degenerates and you might not know which ones until too late.