brothercyst: excerpt from gmail chat with my neurosurgeon friend

Sunday, March 18, 2007

excerpt from gmail chat with my neurosurgeon friend

[slightly abridged to be more streamlined]

Ian
: glad to hear it
i just worked a 100 hour week

me
: dude
that is horrible
that's...how many hours a day

Ian
: seventeen a day, overnight call on friday, and then seven hours today
yeah, people that tired are cutting on other people's brains

me
: any mishaps?

Ian
: i saw a patient who was dead when i walked in the room

me
: did he recover

Ian
: no

Ian
: he came into the ER completely normal, and while he was there had a big ass brainstem hemorrhage and died

me
: why did he come into the ER

Ian
: probably had a little warning hemorrhage. or maybe it was unrelated--he had AIDS and chronic fungal meningitis

me
: argh
some lives are harder than others

Ian
: yeah, it's not good when the mold that grows on bird shit is taking over your brain

me
: i always want to post our chats on my blog

Ian
: feel free
gotta answer the door really fast
brb
dude, that was weird--the doorbell rang and i ran downstairs, only to find that there was nobody at the door but a little tabby cat sunning himself on my porch

3 comments:

Ian said...

For those who might be concerned, there is a requirement that surgery residents work less than 80 hours in a week, on average over four weeks. That said, sometimes the responsibility of patient care dictates that extra hours be spent at any given week, which, in the interests of compliance, we compensate for by working far fewer hours in successive weeks so that the average is less. The bottom line is that most people would probably rather have a doctor who works diligently and is tired than one who checks his watch and dashes out the door when some appointed time has come, abdicating any patient care duties that might interfere with his beauty rest.

So, yeah, sometimes we work insane hours in a week. But we work less (and sleep more) later and it averages out.

But the mold that grows on bird crap really can cause meningitis.

NickAntosca said...

I think I'd be cool with you operating on my brain. (That is, obviously, if I really required brain surgery for some reason.)

Ian said...

Thanks--I figure that's about the best compliment one can give a neurosurgeon-in-training.

But let's not have you needing any brain surgery.