brothercyst: towelhead & house of meetings

Saturday, April 14, 2007

towelhead & house of meetings

They made a film version of Towelhead? How did I not hear about this before? I'm there.

But wait...it stars Summer Bishil, an (18-year-old) actress who is definitely disorientingly gorgeous, but doesn't look all that ethnically Arab/Persian. Is Bishil an Indian name? If her performance is good enough, though, I guess that largely obviates these concerns.

***********

Also, last night I finished Martin Amis's House of Meetings. It's arguably the best novel he's ever written. The narrator, a gloomy and regretful Russian rapist ("little sleep has been lost over the consequences of rape for the rapist")--half-brute, half-intellectual--who spends a decade in the gulag with his pacifist brother Lev, is my favorite character of Amis's novels, I think. He narrates while in his eighties, in "a state of permanent lost temper," trying to synchronize the reading of an unread letter in his pocket with his impending death so that it'll be the last thing he does. I'm going to go back and read this book again with a pen at my side for underlining purposes--it has that many good sentences and terrific moments. Amis remains a fucking Beethoven of language--and finally he learned to write powerful characters and tell a killer story, too.

***********

Caitlin, thanks for sending me purple horse pills after reading that I was sick. I will eat them all. I'm thrilled that your honeymoon went well. I will call you.

2 comments:

Whai Whai said...

I liked it, too! Got to review it, and though the ending is somewhat corny, I admit, you can check it out here:
http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3JmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MDY5MzA3

On the whole, much better than The Castle in the Forest, by Norman Mailer. Actually, I couldn't bring myself to finish that one. I was getting flashbacks to that movie Constantine, and it made me laugh. Oh the musings on baby Hitler's anus. Oh the demons. Oh the literal crap.

NickAntosca said...

Fortunately, I had no intention of reading the Mailer. I've never liked anything of his except Executioner's Song.

Thanks for sending the review--I'm going to go read it now. I keep thinking about House of Meetings.