brothercyst: Midnight Picnic finished, sort of

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Midnight Picnic finished, sort of

It has been a long two days. Most notably, I finished what I think is the showable rough draft of Midnight Picnic. I sent it to my most trusted reader, the dedicatee of Fires, who loved about 90% of it and hated the other 10% and wants me to cut the specific subplot/subtext he hates.

He might be right but I don't think he is right. (I also, for what it's worth, don't agree with the "kill your darlings" edict. That is MFA talk.) To get a second opinion I have to find another reader who would be attuned to this book. I don't want to show it to most of my male writer friends, I think--they're mostly Martin Amis, Bret Ellis types who don't seem predisposed to get into...what the fuck should I call this...I'm not even sure...

Anyway, I need a strange reader.

**************

Also, spent yesterday wandering around a soccer tournament. There was a lot of free food and it was sunny. But I smoked too much and felt sick after. A pounding headache that lasted for hours. The barbecue probably didn't help much either. But I feel better now and it looks lovely outside.

3 comments:

Little Miss Nomad said...

If that post about the need for a "strange" reader was a not-so-subtle request for me to read your manuscript, I guess I could make the time...

Nick said...

wait, i have to do more to it. you would be a good strange reader i think. but i don't know if i know you quite well enough to calibrate my interpretation of your opinion. would you be interested in reading it in, say, a month or so?

Little Miss Nomad said...

Yeah, I absolutely would, but if you're hesitant, don't worry about it. I was just rising to the "strange reader" bait.