brothercyst

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Last night I went to a Rupert Thomson reading at McNally Robinson. He was quite good and I'll probably read his new novel. Then there was a discussion between Thomson and Maud Newton, which was good. I wandered away for a minute, found some copies of my book, and signed it. Then I came back and listened to the rest of the talk. After it was over, I suddenly noticed Richard Grayson in the audience. I went over to say hi, and then I met Maud for the first time in person. That was cool. She is cool. Then Richard introduced me to Edward Champion, another person I had corresponded with (and "guest-blogged" for repeatedly) but never met in person. We talked about Martin Amis and Ed's excellent interview with him. Then a person next to Ed was introduced by someone: "This is Matthew Cheney." Matthew Cheney reviewed Fires in Rain Taxi. It was a smart, pretty accurate review. Then Ed introduced the woman standing next to him: "This is Sarah Weinman." The entire crowd was composed of people whose names I knew and who knew my name but who I had never met in person. I talked to Sarah for a bit. There are some people who just have an encyclopedic knowledge of serial killers. I am almost one of those people. Sarah Weinman is one of those people. Afterward, I went home and took a little nap and woke up too late to go to my friend's birthday thing, as I had intended to do. Sorry, man.

Also, last night I had a dream that life on earth was about to be wiped out. We had about a day left.

7 comments:

Dobbs said...

I had a dream that my house caught on fire.

Nick said...

that means good luck.

Tom said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPdP1jBfxzo

Tom said...

missed you at the thing.

--real tom

Nick said...

i know, i feel really bad. i fell asleep, then called you, then called jp, but his phone was doing some weird thing--i got that "three rising tones" thing that usually plays before a voice says "the number you have dialed cannot be reached" but this time the voice said something about something being busy. i tried a couple times but it didn't work so i just stayed in bed and read my book.

Nick said...

tom #1--thanks for the robot music video.

editor said...

Life on earth is about to be wiped out..not totally..maybe about 5 billion or so humans..massive earthchanges etc..cosmic solar events never before seen on earth.. but probably not by tomorro..a few years down the road I think..
Tom