brothercyst: crowley, dems, list

Thursday, January 10, 2008

crowley, dems, list

Michael Dirda wrote a comprehensive appreciation of John Crowley. Crowley, who now teaches at Yale, is one of the best living novelists. (Dirda has said that his favorite novelists are James Salter, Crowley, and Russell Hoban. I am with him on the first two but have not read Hoban.)


I wrote about the Democratic primary.


I'm depressed and worried, I feel like making a list.

My favorite movies of the decade so far, in approximate order:
  1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik)
  2. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook)
  3. (tie) Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky) and There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
  4. War of the Worlds (Steven Spielberg)
  5. seasons 4 & 5 of The Shield, with Forrest Whitaker and Anthony Anderson
  6. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Park Chan-wook)
  7. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch)
  8. The Departed (Martin Scorsese)
  9. Irreversible (Gaspar Noé)
  10. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón)
  11. (another tie) The Bourne Supremacy and United 93 (Paul Greengrass)
  12. Undertow (David Gordon Green)
  13. Grindhouse, theatrical version (Tarantino & Rodriguez)
  14. parts of Inland Empire (Lynch)


dave said...

I like your list. Not sure if you've seen these, but I enjoy making unsolicited (foreign) film recommendations:

-Memories of Murder
-Peppermint Candy
-Last Life in the Universe

Also anything by Tsai Ming-Liang or Shunji Iwai.

Nick said...

I saw Memories of Murder and liked it a lot. I haven't seen the others but am intrigued.