brothercyst: 3 days, v. sick

Saturday, April 05, 2008

3 days, v. sick

I was sicker in the past week than I've been in more than a year. Monday night I stayed up late and Tuesday I felt woozy, weird. On Wednesday morning I couldn't get out of bed. My head had this buzzy, heavy feeling that tightened into a sharp pain if I moved. I stayed in bed for hours. The headache felt very resolute and indifferent. It was like a dog that wouldn't lie down. I pictured it as a shaggy gray dog staring boredly at me with half-closed yellow eyes. Once I did get out of bed and went to the bathroom but just lay down on the floor for a while and then went back to bed. I didn't get up again until three or four in the afternoon. In the evening I broke into an intense sweat that lasted for hours but I seemed to be better.

On Thursday I was okay enough to go to work and in the evening I saw Richard Price read and talk w/ David Simon, which was good. Then I went to dinner with some friends and didn't get home until late.

Friday morning when I woke up I felt bad again so I stayed home. The bad feeling got worse and worse, until by eight or nine in the evening I was back where I'd been on Wednesday morning. Then it got worse. I started having minor hallucinations--a little humanoid dinosaur skeleton with dreadlocks and a basketball jersey was standing around chuckling. And a woman in a green bathing suit was lying on a sort of half-submerged raft of moss near a clear pond. Sometimes I wanted to go to the hospital but was too disoriented/weak to get out of bed and pick up the phone. I stayed in bed for about fourteen hours. I was drenched in sweat. Around 11 am I got out of bed. I felt okay. I drank two pint cartons of orange juice and a small container of yogurt. In the afternoon I ordered a huge meal of ribs, pulled pork, fries, onion rings, and crab cakes. I seem to be okay now.

No comments: