brothercyst: it is friday

Friday, April 18, 2008

it is friday

Therefore all thoughts are fragmented.

...

Working on a new project I'm very excited about. Far from sure it will see the light of day, but putting a lot into it. Many hours. And it's a pleasure. Bad luck and bad form to say anything specific, but that's that.

...
...
Midnight Picnic gets a brief, way-in-advance mention on Galleycat.

...

Many readings this week.
  • On Monday I read at Boxcar Lounge with Todd Zuniga and Robin Slick.
  • On Tuesday I went to a reading in a depressingly gorgeous townhouse where the lineup was Louis Lapham, Tom Wolfe, Graydon Carter, Harvey Weinstein, and...Richard Dreyfuss. Everyone was beautiful or rich; I felt anxious, out of place. There was free champagne and food but no chairs and so people had to stand in a relatively small space. A woman fainted on the floor near me.
  • On Wednesday, a reading by Denis Johnson. Johnson seemed to have a little trouble. ("These are my words. This is my mouth. Theoretically there should be no problem.") I went with my friend David. Then drinks and food at the White Horse.
  • Last night, Scott Heim's book party for We Disappear at the LGBT Center. If you haven't read his books before, definitely worth your while to pick one up.
  • tonight: no readings.

...


The former Secretary of Labor, Robert Reich, has a blogspot blog and just endorsed Barack Obama on it.

...

I want to see Pride and Glory. I've wanted to see it for a while. I have this thing... I like to read and hear about dirty cops. In reality I'm wary of cops. The father of my first girlfriend was one of the worst people I've ever met or known, and he was a cop. I have a relative (I haven't seen him in almost two decades) who's a cop and I recall being very little and being told I wasn't supposed to be around him, and overhearing what a vicious racist he was, how he threatened to beat up my grandfather. That made an impression on me. But in stories I love to see rogue cops doing corrupt things, especially in collapsing cities. (Another reason I love James Ellroy and The Shield.) Small town monster cops, like in The Killer Inside Me, are slightly less interesting.

...

It's so sunny out. I mean, it's beautiful. I need to go outside. To end the week, here's Erwin Blumenfeld's portrait of Hitler.

No comments: