brothercyst: UNION SQUARE

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

UNION SQUARE

Girl with Clipboard: Hey, will you make a free call on my cell phone to Senator Charles Schumer and ask him to support [some green energy bill]?

Me: Yeah, sure, I'll do that.

She gives me the phone and I make the call. As I give the phone back, an astoundingly tall man wearing a sandwich board proclaiming himself a faith healer walks by. The girl stops him.

Girl with Clipboard: Hey sir, will you make a free call on my cell phone to Senator Charles Schumer...

Faith Healer: Yeah, cool. Takes the phone.

Me: (to Faith Healer) Hey... TeDevan. Rocketman. I know you.

Faith Healer: (squinting) Oh... yeah...

Me: We did a reading together, years ago.

Faith Healer: Yeah, at the Gershwin Hotel.

Me: Yeah, you told my girlfriend you could heal her with your penis.

Faith Healer: Oh... that's taken out of context.

Me: No offense was taken. (Pointing at sandwich board) What's all this?

Girl with Clipboard: (Gesturing at phone) Hey... hey? It's ringing?

I walk away, confused but vaguely exhilarated.

1 comment:

Eric Shonkwiler said...

Moments like that make me wish I lived in a big city. But all the other moments in the day make me glad I don't.