brothercyst: **WAIT, HOLD ON A SECOND: "DIFFICULT AUTHOR" DELAY**

Friday, December 12, 2008

**WAIT, HOLD ON A SECOND: "DIFFICULT AUTHOR" DELAY**


Okay, so... the novel that has been subject to all sorts of delays (original Impetus release date: Spring 2008!) will have one more last-minute delay.

Some printed copies of Midnight Picnic emerged from the printer about a week back, but I didn't see them until a couple days ago, and when I did, I wasn't happy with the interior*. So Jackie and I talked about it and we both agreed we should push it back and take the time to re-set the font and get new copies. I've already done some interviews for the book and there are reviews and so forth... but we'll get all that moved to a bit later. Publishing--it's an adventure!

***Anyway, the new copies will be ready on or before FEBRUARY 15, two months from now.***

And here, incidentally, is a post by a reader (of one of the hard to read copies)...


* When the book switched from Impetus to Word Riot, we decided for the sake of speed to just go with the files that already existed, although I didn't love the font. Well, bad call on my part--in the printed copies, at least many of them, the font is just indisputably fucked-up and hard to read (although the look of the book is otherwise beautiful). My grandmother called me up about her copy, because that one was so light she couldn't read it. Some are worse than others. If you too got one of the copies that's really hard to read, email me, and we'll get you a replacement copy.

4 comments:

Matt DeBenedictis said...

I have tried so hard to read Midnight Picnic with the thin font. Tried numerous lighting, always adding more light to each attempt. I already contacted Jackie from Word Riot for a new copy. Sorry this happened. I'm going to just wait with more anticipation building.

N A said...

"always adding more light to each attempt"

Ha ha ha... argh, tragic. Don't worry, we will get you a new copy. Sorry about that...

Matt DeBenedictis said...

It happens. No worries. Fonts can be angels and devilish bastards all at the same time.

Laura Ellen Scott said...

see, i thought it was just some hip indie lit thing. plus, since i read a hard to read copy (can we refer to it as a 'special edition'?), i feel stronger for it.