brothercyst: WATCHMEN/DEATHWATCH

Sunday, March 08, 2009

WATCHMEN/DEATHWATCH

Long weekend of sorts, since I was out sick on Friday. Today I saw Watchmen. Its fidelity to the comic is remarkable. All the good parts of the comic are there--and so are all the shitty ones. (Except that ridiculous, out-of-nowhere squid. Good call getting rid of that.) Nite Owl and Ozymandias are dull characters, and their costumes look so absolutely stupid, it's a visual turn-off both in the book and the movie.

On the other hand, Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach are great. Rorschach in prison without his mask is one of the best sequences in the film. As is Dr. Manhattan's origin story and departure to Mars (with the Philip Glass score). Great stuff.

Much has been said about the sex scene. I liked it.

The end sucks.

This year so far has been good in terms of writing discipline. I've written every single day, except for the three or four days I was in L.A.

For some reason today I flashed back to Robb White's Deathwatch, a novel I read when I was 11 or 12 and liked a lot. I might pick that up again. I never realized they made a TV movie of it with Andy Griffith as the killer and Sam Bottoms as the hunted kid. UPDATE: It appears that the book, which I thought was pretty obscure now, is apparently quite popular.

1 comment:

Matt DeBenedictis said...

Night Owl was very weak in the film, they turned him into a character who would have been too boring and sad for a Woody Allen flick.