brothercyst: JUST WOKE UP FROM A NAP

Monday, April 06, 2009

JUST WOKE UP FROM A NAP

The weekend is over, it's 12:30 AM Monday morning, I just woke up from a nap and am screwing around on the internet. I didn't really do any writing this weekend, but that's okay because I did a little planning and some reading, and because I did so much writing in the first three months of the year. This weekend I also--

  • dropped briefly by a photography show where I got my portrait taken
  • went to the birthday party of the Berger twins, featuring a screening of a comedic short film I cameo'd in (update: video on YouTube)
  • saw Lila Nelson play an excellent set at the Living Room
  • went to a party/seance for dead philosophers with Bess, where I heard of a new band I now like (pay attention, they'll be famous soon).
  • ventured out to a windy nightmare place called Brooklyn to look for an apartment
  • ate numerous baseball-shaped Burger Shoppe burgers, a banh mi, and many tacos
  • watched Dexter and ate desserts with ASB
  • discovered the new passion fruit ice cream. Finally someone's listened to my plea that everything be made in passion fruit flavor.
Midnight Picnic got its first neg/eh review. From The L Magazine. FWIW, I think it's a totally fair review and most of what reviewer Ryan Vlastelica says is reasonable and accurate; that's what's in the book and you either respond to it or you don't. I like the Mario Bros reference.

I wonder if there are other reviews out there that I don't know about--I hadn't heard about this until Alex Remington, who was unexpectedly in town today and with whom I had a greasy Chinese dinner, told me he'd seen it when he picked up a copy of The L at a comedy show last night.

This article concerns the firm where I work.

Going on a trip across the Atlantic shortly, just bought my ticket, hanging out with Russell in a Muslim country, looking fwd to it.

I like the comments on Youtube. I like when they make me laugh. I like the commenter who just wrote "Titty bears LMao!" on my video of rats frolicking in the subway.

I have been having some heretical-feeling thoughts about writing. My attitude is changing. I'm reassessing what I think the most important parts of fiction are, and where I think the "art" is. I think it's changing everything I think about writing (although I'm just coming to conclusions that a million other writers have come to and many consider self-evident). More on this later.

2 comments:

wb said...

You looked for an apartment in Brooklyn? Who are you and what have you done with Nick Antosca?

N A said...

I know, right? But it's true. I'm in brooklyn right now. Supposedly at a dinner party, but actually checking my email for a moment. I just saw an amazing apartment in brooklyn actually. Remains to be seen if I'll get it...