brothercyst: I ORDERED A BLACKBERRY

Monday, April 20, 2009

I ORDERED A BLACKBERRY

They're expensive! No more ghetto phone.

*************

From John Madera--get in touch with him if you want to contribute. I intend to, once my life settles down (?) a little.

"I've started a new project and I need help. I've just "launched" a new online literary journal called The Chapbook Review (www.thechapbookreview.com). It will focus exclusively on reviewing fiction and poetry chapbooks. Besides reviews, I'm hoping that it will also include critical essays and interviews. I haven't found any other journal that concentrates only on this particular form.
As you'll find, the site is in its embryonic stages.
So this is a call for:
Reviewers
Website design help and ideas
Chapbooks to review
And whatever else I haven't thought of"

***************

This weekend I went to Proteus Gowanus to visit the Morbid Library and see stuff like this.




***************

J.G. Ballard died this weekend.

I remember reading Crash freshman year of college while I was stuck in bed with a tube in my lung. A fine book.

***************

On Saturday I had a terrific sandwich. Open-faced. The Stone Park BLT at Stone Park Cafe in Park Slope. Instead of bacon, it has pork belly. Crispy, crunchy, juicy slices of pork--it's like the apotheosis of all the good qualities that bacon can boast. Solemnly recommended.

***************

Hm, the stock market fell a lot today. I wonder if it will plummet again. This is all a sucker's rally. Soon we will all be adrift.

***************

On Saturday I read for the Lungfull! magazine release party. It was fun. ASB came, and some friends of hers, and there was an auction. If I had the money, I'd have bought one of the paintings or engravings that were for sale, because they were pretty cool--one was a sort of ham with legs running through a forest, which I liked. I don't understand who was spending ~$100 on these things, though! Who can afford that? (Other than the drunken woman who screeched, "I just spent $700 on dresses yesterday, I can do what I want!!" in response to a man shouting at her, "Rachel, your husband's going to be mad at you!") I read four sentences because it was getting late and I was starving and wanted to go to the taco truck and then get some pork and crabmeat soup dumplings. The reading ran long, or I would've liked to hang out at the party for a little bit.

No comments: