brothercyst: CUT!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

CUT!

I got laid off yesterday. I actually wasn't there. I had gone swimming shortly before 11 and found a ton of missed calls and texts on my phone when I got out. "Where are you??" "You need to get here right now." "Half the group is gone. You missed all the crying." etc. Flexible hours always were the sweetest part of that job.

So by the time I ambled back into the office, all the other laid off people were gone, the survivors were standing around shell-shocked, and my tearful manager told me I had to get my stuff and go to HR for my severance and benefits conversation. So I did, and that's the end of that job.

It's too bad. It was a good job with lots of perks and great benefits, they treated artists and writers well, and I really liked most of the people I worked with. Any job is going to have its drawbacks, but as far as day jobs go, this was pretty much an ideal one. (When I got hired four years ago, I thought I'd probably be there six months.) Now it's back to living like a college student again.

5 comments:

Jackie Corley said...

oh no, nick - i'm so sorry!

Bezalel said...

Haven't posted before but read you regularly. I'm really sorry about the job loss - it sucks. I lost my job about two months ago in a similar manner...On the plus side, it gave me way more time to write (severance can be a wonderful thing)...

N A said...

Thanks, Jackie & Bezalel. I intend to make the most of my free time and severance. While the long term looks deeply uncertain, the short term looks... fucking awesome?

Martin Wall said...

terriblely sorry. that is such tough news. I feel for you, over here. Take real care.

N A said...

Thanks, Martin,

N