brothercyst: CROWLEY ESSAY IN LAPHAM'S / ONION

Sunday, October 11, 2009

CROWLEY ESSAY IN LAPHAM'S / ONION

I saw the other day that one of my favorite magazines just published a new essay by John Crowley. It's a wonderful essay, involving the collapse of the financial system and the Large Hadron Supercollider and much more.

Lapham's Quarterly is ridiculously fun to read. It's basically a collection of excerpts (plus one or two original essays, like Crowley's) with each issue themed. The excerpts are from a radically diverse bunch of sources usually spanning more than a millennium. When I first heard of it, I thought, "So... it's a textbook?" Then I happened to go to the launch party of the first issue a few years ago and got a free copy of the magazine, which is so addictive that I carried it with me on the subway for several days. That was the "Money" issue. Later I got the "Eros" issue which is, of course, totally fascinating.

Also, check this out: Here's Crowley interviewed by The Onion and here's the book club where they discuss Little, Big at length (scroll down).

No comments: