brothercyst: FAVORITE MOVIES OF THE DECADE?

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

FAVORITE MOVIES OF THE DECADE?

I am heartened by the comments on this Hollywood Elsewhere post inviting lists of favorite films of the decade. I posted my list, too, and am reprinting below. (A modified/updated version of my list posted a while ago.)

1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik)
2. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook)
3. (tie) Requiem for a Dream (Darren Aronofsky) and There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
4. War of the Worlds (Steven Spielberg)
5. seasons 4 and 5 of The Shield, with Forrest Whitaker and Anthony Anderson
6. (tie) Children of Men (Alfonso Cuaron) and District 9 (Neill Blomkamp)
7. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch)
8. Undertow (David Gordon Green)
9. Irreversible (Gaspar Noe)
10. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Park Chan-wook)
11. (3way tie) The Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum and United 93 (Paul Greengrass)
12. The Departed (Martin Scorsese)
13. The 25th Hour (Spike Lee)
14. (tie) Grindhouse, theatrical version (Tarantino and Rodriguez) and The Devil's Rejects (Rob Zombie)
15. parts of Inland Empire (Lynch)
16. Sideways (Alexander Payne)
17. Miami Vice (Michael Mann)

honorable mentions (some seen too recently to be sure... have to let them simmer):

The Escapist
Public Enemies
Let the Right One In (but the part where he visits his father should've been cut)
The Lives of Others (I just hate that freeze frame at the end! Otherwise incredible movie.)
The Orphanage (terrifying, but the very end was too heaven-y.)

What are other people's favorites? Am I a fiend for including the Rob Zombie?

************

This is more than a month old at this point, but I just saw this interview and was surprised to come across my name at the end. As I wrote when it came out earlier this year, I read An Expensive Education in galley form and thought it was excellent.

10 comments:

Little Miss Nomad said...

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Pan's Labyrinth would be at the top of my list. Along with Monsters, Inc., Wall-E, City of God, Memento, Dirty Pretty Things, Million Dollar Baby, No Country for Old Men, The Cooler, and The Others. The only ones from your list I'd have on mine is The Departed and the tie at number 6. Brokeback Mountain would be on mine if it were just for cinematography. I'm also just impressed as hell by Lord of the Rings... I think that's it.

Little Miss Nomad said...

Also, are you kidding about Undertow? I found that unbearable.

I really liked Death Proof in Grindhouse, but not so much Planet Terror. I might be tempted to put Kill Bill on my list actually.

C Morris said...

Did you see Zodiac?

C Morris said...

Also, I'm curious: What did you think of Martyrs?

N A said...

Yes, I really loved Undertow--except for the weird bookends with shots of the ocean.

I did see Zodiac. I admired it but was largely unmoved. Gyllenhaal's performance was not much, I thought. And the end was a wash. They should've kept the huge monologue from the script. There was no catharsis.

I haven't seen Martyrs, I don't know anything about it! Should I see it?

C Morris said...

Re: Martyrs

Given your list of favorite films, I'd say Martyrs has a good chance of being up your alley. Give it a try, eh?

C Morris said...

Re: Zodiac

I don't know anything about a missing monologue, but the lack of catharsis with Zodiac seems only appropriate. After all, the killer was never caught. I quite liked the film, thought you might, too. I disagree with some of your choices, but I'm pleased that you liked The Assassination of Jesse James as much as I did. That one's a keeper.

pb said...

I don't know about the decade- my brain doesn't compartmentalize that well. I liked Sherry Baby.I mostly watch movies to go to sleep.
Frozen River was pretty good.

But Sideways??? Wasn't that the wine movie? OMG- I nearly broke my television. Gotta tease you about that one.

Matt DeBenedictis said...

For some reason I believed Mulholland Drive was older. I thought you were wrong...the internet just proved I was wrong. 1999 is what I thought. Fucking why?

I don't think your wrong for the Rob Zombie inclusions. He's got an interesting eye, and his large color splashes bring mix emotions into scenes that normally would be finite in how to view them. I hope he can break away from interpretations of others visions in time and create one wholly his own.

scott mcclanahan said...

Amen on the Assasination of Jesse James.