brothercyst: WEEK ONE

Monday, February 15, 2010

WEEK ONE

Monday.  Went swimming yesterday.  Olympic-sized pool, outdoors.  Felt so good.

HTML Giant post on the shitty new HBO TV show started argument in the comments.

Reading over finished novel manuscript(s).  Exasperated and depressed re publishing stuff. 

Did a lot of work last week.  Dividing time between collaborative projects and my own stuff.  Enjoying the weather; it's gorgeous and blue out there now, at 8 a.m.  Here's what it looks like from my deck, looking sideways (click for big):

 

 And here's my parents' backyard yesterday:

5 comments:

Ken Baumann said...

I like the first draft of this post. :)
ABC, A: Always B: Be C: Closing, ALWAYS BE CLOSING.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious, and not in a judgemental way---how do you pay for all this travel if you're not working?

N A said...

That's a fair question, and one I'd have as well. I'm living off a grant I received at the beginning of last year combined with savings from my job. I worked (as an assistant, then an associate) in the recruiting department of a hedge fund from 2005 to summer 2009. I'm very stingy with money and during that time I saved enough that I can probably go for much of this year without working (assuming I continue to make a little freelance money) before I really have no choice about getting another day job.

Anonymous said...

Don't you have doubts about whether you can make writing your career? From what it seems you don't have promising leads. Not to sound harsh but do you think going to warm places to write is all that constructive?

N A said...

Of course I don't think I can make writing my career. Eventually I'll have to get another day job. (What's a promising lead? You mean in book publishing? That's definitely true -- I've had five agents and none has ever sold anything of mine. I've only ever been published via self-submission to magazines and indie publishers.) And I don't understand the warm places statement...going to the DR was constructive in the sense that I wrote a tremendous amount, and I also had some of the best times of my life. And I was able to afford it because friends let me use their place, and I sublet my apartment in NY. What's ill-advised about that?