brothercyst: TWO BOOKS, A MOVIE, AND A CELEBRITY

Saturday, March 20, 2010

TWO BOOKS, A MOVIE, AND A CELEBRITY

I just read two short books.

God Jr. by Dennis Cooper ... I kind of loved this.  It was strange and exciting, and also poignant.  It creates interstices in itself that gather meaning.  By which I mean that which is missing from the narrative becomes weighted with emotion.  Surprisingly wonderful book.  I like the parts where the bear learns about the religion in the video game. 

Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis ... It has a great last line and an interestingly complex premise, but a lot of disappointing elements, too.  It's too bad.  I continue to love American Psycho.

I also saw Hot Tub Time Machine. 

And about thirty minutes ago on the street in Los Feliz, I had the only celebrity sighting that's thrilled me since coming to L.A.: Tony Todd, the Candyman.  I stopped and said hello.  This seemed excusable since he was in my roommate's short film.  At least in the roughly ninety seconds I spoke to him, he seemed like a fucking awesome guy.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I'm bummed to hear that Imperial Bedrooms disappointed somewhat, I was kind of hesitant about the idea of a "sequel" to Less Than Zero. I think that book is untouchable in how peerless it is but it is so much a book that could only be written by someone in his early 20's and to try to retrace that as someone in their mid 40's had me a bit worried. I will still be buying it the moment it comes out though.

p.s. - love reading your blog and look forward to reading more of your work. I hope you will be able to have a new book published soon, I loved Fires but Midnight Picnic was even better. What a beast that book was (in the best way possible.) Good Luck!

N A said...

Thank you! Glad you liked the books.

I actually prefer American Psycho and The Informers to Less Than Zero, but regardless, Imperial Bedrooms is not great. I wish it were. I love the title. (But to the best of my recollection, there are no imperial bedrooms in the novel. I guess he just wanted another Elvis Costello reference. Unfortunately this one doesn't seem to resonate with the book itself at all, unlike "Less Than Zero.")