brothercyst: LA ENCOUNTER

Thursday, April 08, 2010

LA ENCOUNTER

Got into the car this evening to go to Long Beach, had been asked to pick up a friend at the airport there.  Hadn't known Long Beach was so far away--she said airport and I just assumed LAX was in some place called Long Beach.  Anyway I hadn't slept in two days.  I felt perfectly awake when I got in the car, but at some point during the nearly two hour drive (I took an inadvisable route), I started having corner-of-the-eye hallucinations.  I saw a pile of clothes in the shape of a man in the passenger seat.  What's that doing there?... looked over and of course there was nothing.  Then I had a minor car accident.  Uh-oh, I thought... the other car drifted over to the side of the road, flashing its lights.  I pulled over behind it.  The car was a big American sedan but it was weirdly dented and I could see all kinds of garbage bags and hundreds of old newspapers inside.  Nice, a crazy person, I thought.  Maybe he or she won't care to exchange insurance informationBut will he or she try to harm me?  A large woman got out.  She was wearing a white muumuu/nightgown sort of thing and her hair was knotty and dredlocked, going in every direction.  She had grey whiskers.  I got out and said, "Are you okay??"  She said, "Am I okay?  Am I okay?"  She was indignant.  "OF COURSE I'm okay.  GOD PROTECTS ME."  I couldn't tell if any of the numerous dents in her car were a result of our collision, but she studied her car and pronounced it "fine," then asked me to look at it and say if I saw any damage.  "No," I said.  I didn't even look at my own car, I care so little about the thing that it literally didn't occur to me.  She got back in her car.  "Do you want my phone number or something?" I said.  "What are you gonna pay for?" she said.  "You see any damage?"  I said, "No."  She drove away.  I drove on.  I felt fine but wondered if adrenaline was masking pain.  Kept thinking of the stories you hear about people in accidents whose neck injuries don't flare up until months later.  Finally I got to Long Beach airport, which is no larger than a high school.  I made my friend drive on the trip back, and when she drove it only took half an hour.

4 comments:

Little Miss Nomad said...

Congratulations. Now you're really an Angeleno.

wb said...

Does this mean you won't come down to Long Beach to have dinner with Jennifer and I sometime?

Michael said...

I am so sorry to hear that you were in an accident (glad that it was relatively minor it seems), but as a long-time reader of your blog I found this story extremely entertaining. Like I didn't know where it was going to go and the end was just as good as the beginning. I'm thinking about moving out to LA sometime next year, so I enjoy reading all these crazy stories from people who live there so I can prepare myself somewhat.

N A said...

Thanks, Kati.

Willy, I might be able to the muster the courage to make that trip. I'm sorry I didn't see you when you were up here! Things have been relentless. Please let me know next time you are here and I will try my best to be free.

Michael, thank you for reading. Some people don't seem to like LA and I heard all sorts of terrible things. But within a week or two of getting here I was pretty sure i wanted to stay for longer than I'd originally planned. I really like it.