brothercyst: SCREENED

Thursday, June 24, 2010

SCREENED

This evening I had the first experience I've ever had of watching a feature film directed by a friend/peer/classmate.  (I believe he's also 27.)  I was asked not to write about it, so I won't, except to say that it was awesome.  A grindingly intense horror movie/political satire shot for a relatively low budget--a couple million dollars--I watched it in a tiny screening room on Wilshire with a test group of horror fan types.  A few things weren't tweaked/finished, but it looked pretty much done.  I watched it with hands gripping the armrests and teeth clenched, flinching from time to time.  People are going to have extreme reactions to the movie when it gets out there.  I will write more about it when I can.

On another movie-related note, I want to see this.

And I saw something called Life is Hot in Cracktown.  Yes, that's actually the title.

And check out this Laura Miller piece about YA dystopias in the New Yorker.

And the Eugenides story is pretty great in parts, although I don't know about the end.  He writes well from a female perspective.

Now that I've seen every episode of True Blood, I'm switching to another Southern-fried show: Justified.

No comments: