brothercyst: STUFF

Saturday, November 20, 2010


A reader of this blog just told me about In the Land of the Long FingernailsI just ordered on the basis of the title alone and will read it in good time.


Today my friend interviewed me for a documentary she's making where she interviews people about their religious beliefs or lack thereof.  I decided that for an agnostic, all days can be divided into two categories: Crimes and Misdemeanors days and Hannah and Her Sisters days.  The former are the days when you think, "If there is no God, then there is no ultimate justice, and it is in fact possible to get away with murder."  The later are the days when you perceive the world through the lens of "If there is no God, then your time is really quite precious, so you better enjoy every moment of this consciousness thing."


There's something so conceptually unpleasant and dread-inducing about water that won't go down a drain.  It's like that part at the beginning of Sex, Lies, and Videotape where Andie MacDowell talks to her therapist about the garbage barge that's stranded off the coast and can't dock, and how it keeps her awake at night.

1 comment:

Little Miss Nomad said...

I'm quite the opposite. The only way I've curbed my compulsion to steal my neighbors' packages or attempt pickpocketing is because, while I don't believe in the Biblical God, I realize my believing or not doesn't have any bearing on "His" existence, and if "He" does exist, I don't want to be a thief. So I'm never making choices based on "if there is no God," but on, "you never know, so I should probably behave"--economists would call that risk-averse, right?