brothercyst: BLUE VALENTINE

Monday, January 10, 2011

BLUE VALENTINE

I saw Blue Valentine today.  Kind of loved it, despite not really expecting to.  I liked how it was shot, and I liked the performances, even though I normally find Ryan Gosling annoying and overly actorly.  Michelle Williams is astoundingly good.  Blue Valentine is like the other side of 500 Days of Summer, a good-times-and-bad-times chronicle of a romance from dizzy inception to miserable disintegration, except instead of being a saga of two horrible twee shitbags, it's about a pair of sad humans who hope and strive and struggle and behave sometimes immaturely and sometimes admirably and grow thicker and sadder and saggier as they get older, and it's occasionally heartbreaking, and a little overlong but certainly one of my favorite movies of 2010.

No comments: