Wednesday, January 19, 2011


Things I didn't know about Guillermo del Toro before last night:
  • When he was a small child in Mexico, his father won the lottery and the family suddenly became incredibly rich.
  • He was completely unsupervised as a child, given a small menagerie -- snakes, an eagle, a lion cub.
  • He says "fuck" a lot.
  • He is an extremely smart man with an nimble, versatile mind.
I saw him at this event.  Here's the complete video of his talk, which is worth watching and as good as any TED talk.


Little Miss Nomad said...

I adore Guillermo. I didn't even know about the talk till last night. Damnation. At least there's a video.

Alex Remington said...

I saw him after a screening of Pan's Labyrinth. He signed my ticket with a cute little doodle. Completely engaging dude. Not all his ideas are good -- as one quick example, he optioned a book called "Hater" by David Moody that just sucks; it's a badly written, derivative take on The Crazies -- but plenty of them are, and he's prolific enough to render the bad ones irrelevant. He makes the world a better place.