brothercyst: FIRES TO BE RE-RELEASED THIS OCTOBER

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

FIRES TO BE RE-RELEASED THIS OCTOBER

new cover design by Michael Seidlinger!

There is pleasing news: My first novel, Fires, is being re-released by the excellent indie press Civil Coping Mechanisms on October 10, 2011.  Three short stories will be published along with it.  Fires has been out of print since the original publisher, Impetus Press (run by the inimitable Willy Blackmore and Jennifer Banash), closed its doors in 2008, so I'm thrilled it is back.

As you can see, there is a vivid new cover, painted by Michael Seidlinger.  The new edition will also contain three short stories: "Winter Was Hard" (originally published in a UK magazine called Short Fiction), "Rat Beast," (originally published as a limited edition chapbook by J.A. Tyler's Mud Luscious Press), and "The Girlfriend Game," (originally published and still available online at Frank Hinton's Metazen).  CCM is also the publisher of Noah Cicero's Best Behavior, which contains a character based on me.

I wrote Fires in my dorm room when I was 20 years old.  I want to make a movie out of it someday.  Here are some booknotes about it, wherein I talk about the music I was listening to while I wrote it.  I was thrilled when Michael Seidlinger got in touch and asked if CCM could republish it... much gratitude to them.  I'm glad it will be out in the world again.

3 comments:

Joshua Shepherd said...

This is great news. I keep wanting to recommend it to people but it being out of print was making that quite difficult. I'll definitely try and get hold of a copy for the extra stories.
I did prefer the original cover though, I feel it was more haunting.

N A said...

thanks, Joshua! please do spread the word. i'm excited for it to be properly available again.

ned-vizzini said...

congrats. Great new cover.