brothercyst: R.I.P.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

R.I.P.

Various places are reporting that William Sleator has died in Thailand.  This is really heartbreaking.  He was only in his 60s and still writing actively, I believe.  I hadn't spoken with him since sometime late last year, but we were in fairly regular contact by email and gchat for some stretches of 2009 and 2010.  That was following an interview I did with him.  I really admired him, I loved Singularity when I was a kid and then I returned to it when I was older and found that I still loved it.  Same with House of Stairs and Fingers and to some degree Interstellar Pig as well.  He was an incredibly sweet, mild-mannered guy, who was also very kind the one time I met him in person, which was when he came to visit Yale about ten years ago.  He will be missed.

1 comment:

tinmaninc said...

He was the first author that I followed. After reading The Duplicate, I read every book that we had at our school library. I remember Blackbriar and House of Stairs as my favorites, but I never knew much about the man. RIP.