Wednesday, December 07, 2011


The Collagist did an "interview" with me where the questions are answered via quotes from Fires.  The republished Fires!  Which, like, go buy it.

Today I had a good meeting.  Before that I wrote a little.  I rewatched some of Sleeping Beauty.  Tonight I saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  I have never, never in my life seen a movie whose trailer was so much better than the movie.  The trailer looked just beyond fucking the best spy movie ever made.  The movie is a hard, rough, incomprehensible trudge.

I didn't like Shame all that much when I left the theater.  Some of it felt silly, although there are lots of very familiar, recognizable moments (I loved it when the subway train stopped and the doors didn't open).  If it was supposed to be a descent into wasn't.  It also isn't disturbing or shocking, as advance word had indicated that it would be.  My friend Nic called it "just a hair away from being called Single Man with a Job in NYC."  But I realized I did think about it a lot in the two days since seeing it.

However, Sleeping Beauty is much better.  In fact the more I think about it, the more I think it's extraordinary.  And I think Emily Browning should be getting the same critical praise that Michael Fassbender is (deservedly) getting for Shame.

No comments: